About Southwest Bindings
A proudly Canadian company, Southwest Bindings is one of the largest manufacturers of document binding supplies in the country. For over 36 years, we have been a leader in binding supplies, print finishing equipment, and presentation and branding materials. We are dedicated to being the most reliable, innovative and knowledgeable company in our industry.
Southwest Bindings has seven branch offices across Canada, including Toronto (head office), Southwestern Ontario, British Columbia, Calgary Alberta, Ottawa, Quebec and Halifax Nova Scotia.
- 1978 – Hank Mercer started Southwest Plastic Bindings in Toronto
- 1987 – Louis Cordeiro, aged 25, bought Southwest Plastic Bindings
- 1990 – Southwest moved to a larger, 7000 square foot location at 11 Canadian Road, Toronto
- 1992 – Opened Kitchener location
- 1992 – Fully automated the manufacturing of plastic bindings
- 1994 – Expanded Toronto location to 14,000 square feet
- 1995 – Started manufacturing index tabs
- 1995 – Purchased Unibind, a Mississauga binding company
- 1996 – Expanded index tab capacity and started producing lawyer tabs
- 1997 – Expanded 11 Canadian Road to 17,000 square feet
- 1998 – Opened Ottawa location
- 1999 – Began manufacturing Plastikoil binding
- 1999 – Expanded index tab capacity
- 2000 – Expanded Plastikoil manufacturing capacity
- 2000 – Nominated for Scarborough Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year
- 2001 – Opened Calgary location
- 2001 – Purchased Executive Binding, a Scarborough binding company
- 2002 – Expanded Toronto location to 22,000 square feet
- 2002 – Started manufacturing loose leaf binders
- 2002 – Opened Hamilton location
- 2002 – Installed web index printing press
- 2003 – Opened Montreal location
- 2004 – Moved to a larger, 40,000 square foot building at 20 Dovedale Court, Toronto
- 2004 – Expanded binder manufacturing capacity
- 2004 – Nominated for Scarborough Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year
- 2005 – Opened Halifax location
- 2006 – Expanded Montreal location
- 2007 – Expanded Calgary location
- 2007 – Expanded and relocated Halifax location
- 2008 – Expanded Toronto location by 15%
- 2009 – Southwest becomes FSC® certified and develops a line of eco-friendly products
- 2010 – Opened B.C. location
- 2011 – Moved and expanded B.C. location
- 2011 – Moved and expanded Montreal location
- 2011 – Purchased assets of Canbind, Ltd.
- 2012 – Expanded index tab manufacturing capacity by 25%
- 2013 – Purchased International Binding and Lamination Solutions’ B.C., Alberta, Quebec and Atlantic Divisions
- 2013 – Moved Southwest Bindings and IBLS into larger Surrey, B.C. location
- 2013 – Merged Southwest National, Spiral of Canada, Indexco and International Binding and Laminating Systems
- 2014 – Amalgamated Spiral Canada and Southwest Bindings into Southwest Bindings Ltd.
- 2015 – Launched new eCommerce website
- 2015 – Expanded our production capabilities to include in-house case making products and solutions
- 2016 – Acquired GSE in Halifax and moved to a new larger location
- 2016 – Purchased the assets of Tops Custom tab division
- 2017 – Purchased the assets of National Presentation
When I first started Southwest Bindings, my intention was not to be the biggest company in Canada, but the one with the best solutions, largest selection, and highest level of customer satisfaction.
Southwest Bindings is constantly innovating to become more competitive in service, quality and price. We strive to deliver the best value and widest selection of binding systems from Canada and around the world. We take pride in calling Canada our manufacturing centre and home, not just another profit centre.
Southwest Bindings is committed to providing you with the very best customer experience, and so we’ve introduced our President’s Guarantee. If at any time you would like to comment on our staff, policies or products, feel free to call my direct line.
President, Southwest Bindings